Who are we?
Molecular Diagnostic Services (Pty) Ltd (otherwise known as MDS), Registration No. 200100177907, and mi-LabTest/WellPro, divisions of Molecular Diagnostic Services, is a specialist molecular diagnostics service provider. References to ‘us’, ‘we’ or ‘our’ include MDS, mi-LabTest, WellPro or collectively the MDS group.
Who does this policy apply to?
Protecting your privacy?
We are committed to protecting your personal information and complying with our obligations under the Protection of Personal Information Act No. 4, 2013 and other laws (collectively, Privacy Laws) governing the use of personal information which regulate how personal information is handled from collection, use, disclosure, storage, access and disposal.
‘Personal information’ generally means any kind of information in any form about a person that identifies that person not limited to but including name, address, date of birth, marital status, contact information, ID & drivers licence issue and expiry date, financial records, credit information, intentions to acquire goods and services and includes sensitive information such as health information.
The MDS group takes appropriate and reasonable technical and organizational steps to protect all information according to industry best practices. Our security measures include physical, technological and procedural safeguards in order to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. We also take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. We keep your personal information for only as long as it is required in order to provide you with products and services and to comply with our legal and statuary obligations and archiving policy. When it is no longer needed for these purposes, we take reasonable steps to destroy this personal information.
Molecular Diagnostic Services appoints a dedicated Information Officer and Deputy Information Officer. All MDS group employees sign confidentiality clauses and access to personal information is restricted to duly authorized staff.
What kind of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- identifying information such as name, date of birth, marital status and employment details
- contact information such as home address, home, fax and mobile phone numbers and email address
- financial information, such as bank account and credit card details
- sensitive information, including information about your health, health services provided to you, and your claims (where relevant)
- information about your activities, including lifestyle interests
How do we collect and hold your personal information?
We will only collect personal information about you by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner in order to provide you with our service/ products. This information is obtained telephonically, via email, in a test requisition form, DNA relationship contract, credit application form, as well as, information you enter on our website. Credit card details may also be requested in order to process a payment for your test request.
We may collect your personal information from:
- you, or from a person authorised to provide us this information on your behalf
- a third party such as a hospital or other health service provider who has treated you, your spouse or a dependent or a veterinary practice who has treated your pet/ livestock
- an employer, educational institution, government agency or adviser who has dealt with you (or their authorised representatives)
- the Molecular Diagnostic Services group who have provided you with services
- a service provider engaged by us or a third party who partners with us
The MDS group shall take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Your information is stored securely to ensure that your information and documents are protected. MDS employees sign confidentiality clauses and access to personal information is restricted to duly authorized staff. We also take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. We keep your personal information for only as long as it is required in order to provide you with products and services and to comply with our legal obligations and archiving policy. When it is no longer needed for these purposes, we take reasonable steps to destroy this personal information.
Why do we collect, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect your personal information to enable Molecular Diagnostic Services to provide you with products and services, health-related services and information on other products and services (collectively Molecular Diagnostic Services Group Products and Tests).
Where you provide personal information to the Molecular Diagnostic Services group as a service provider, contractor or prospective employee, we collect your personal information to enable us to fulfil the purpose and related purposes for which you provided the information.
We may use your personal information for these purposes, including to:
- manage our relationship with you
- process and audit payments and claims
- analyse, investigate, pursue and prevent suspected fraudulent activities
- manage products or test requests
- manage and develop our business and operational processes and systems
- conduct marketing, feedback and research activities providing you with the option of opting out
- manage and resolve any legal or commercial complaints or issues
- perform other functions and activities relating to our business, and
- comply with our legal obligations.
When do we share your personal information
- If you have consented to this;
- If it is necessary to conclude or perform under a contract (test request) we have with you – such as results sent to your health practitioner for consulting services;
- If the law requires it; and / or if it is necessary to protect or pursue your, our or a third party’s legitimate interest;
- With Operators – agreements are in place ensuring your personal information is protected as reasonably and practically as possible who will inform us if there is a breach/ unauthorized access to your personal information.
In doing so we may disclose your personal information to persons or organisations affiliated with Molecular Diagnostic Services:
- our subsidiary
- our professional advisors
- health service providers
- payment system operators and financial institutions
- your agents and advisors or other persons authorised by, or responsible for you
- government agencies
- other service providers or other third parties who assist us in the detection and investigation of fraud
- other parties to whom we are authorised or required by law to disclose information.
Access to information
MDS provides access to its clients, in accordance with the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000, (PAIA), whereby our clients are permitted to enquire of us what information we have of theirs. MDS shall abide by the regulations.
How do we communicate with you?
To keep you informed quicker, where you provide us with an email address; we send most service-related communications to you by email. Service-related communications are the essential things you need to know about your test requests or purchased products. Communication may also include websites, social media (where relevant), mail by post, SMS and phone calls.
Phone: 031 267 7000
Form ADM HR-0044-4